Contact Us (989) 871-4505
Insurance to meet your needs

Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners Insurance Quote Forms


Homeowners Insurance Information

What is Homeowners Insurance?

Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.

Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets.

Damage caused by most disasters is covered but there are exceptions. The most significant are damage caused by floods, earthquakes and poor maintenance. You must buy two separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage. Maintenance-related problems are the homeowners' responsibility.

Why do you need Homeowners Insurance?

It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That's important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.

  • If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you'd need money to repair or replace it.
  • If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses.
  • If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
  • If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.

It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Ask your agent to talk about what is covered and be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what's included and what is not.

Is Flood damage covered by my Homeowners Insurance?

In short, the answer is NO! Damage caused by ground water that seaps into your home, either by small trickle or raging waters, will not be covered. Flood coverage is an OPTIONAL coverage that can also be purchased along with your homeowners policy.  Click here for more info on Flood Insurance.

Water damage, however, is covered by your policy should a pipe burst or leak due to a covered peril. Water damage that is also a result of the backing up of drains or sewers is also covered (which includes basement crocks), If you opt to purchase the "Backup of Sewer and Drains" OPTIONAL coverage. This coverage has a set limit of generally $5-10,000 and has its own deductible option. Ask your agent about this coverage when getting a quote on homeowners insurance.

Things to consider and questions to ask your agent:

Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions.
  • How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (Ask your agent to talk you through your home's features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage.)
  • Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
  • What discounts are available? (Ask about multiple policy, security system and fire resistance discounts.)
  • What's the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.) 

    Click here to see how inexpensive the proper protection can be.

Fill out the form below to get started with an insurance quote